Allergic Reactions

Info on health hazards and legislation.

Allergic Reactions

Postby jumpyg » Wed May 02, 2007 9:15 pm

Allergic Reactions

Allergies to acrylic, gel, resins and other nail chemicals are not only frustrating for the client they are also quite serious and can lead to painful symptoms. Sore itchy red rashes, inflammation, discoloured nails and nail lift can all be a part of a response to an allergic reaction. If this happens, clients need to see their doctors immediately. Often clients require antibiotics and strong antifungal agents for their symptoms.

Nails Magazine states:

Allergic reactions are caused by prolonged and repeated contact to a specific ingredient in a product. Once a person becomes allergic to something, the allergy can last for life. That is why it is so important to avoid skin contact with all monomers, gels, and resins. Any of these can cause skin reactions if used incorrectly or if they come in repeated and prolonged contact with the skin. A good dermatologist can help identify the ingredient(s) that are causing the allergies by patch testing. Once you know the actual cause of the allergy, you can find products that do not contain that ingredient. Remember, all adverse skin reactions are not completely avoidable, but skin contact must be avoided and products must be used correctly.


Resource
http://www.nailsmag.com/resources/helpDesk.aspx#2
User avatar
jumpyg
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3213
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:59 pm
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Interesting Allergic Reaction to Acrylic and Gel

Postby jumpyg » Fri May 18, 2007 7:43 pm

I thought it was worth posting this email I wrote to http://www.hooked-on-nails.com/ in order to come up with some useful answers about my mother's allergic reaction to acrylic and gel nails.

"Hooked on Nails" was one of the first websites I found when I decided I wanted to be a nail tech. They gave detailed answers on everything I wanted to know and more. And they rule when it comes to product chemistry (I am a bit blah when it comes to the chains of molecules).
Hi there,

I am a Qualified Nail Tech from SA and I have an issue that has stumped me. I think I need some enlightening information about chemistry here.

My mother used to wear acrylic nails for approximately 15 years until an allergic reaction begun (after a spider bite). It caused all sorts of problems, nail swelling, itchiness, fungal infection, nail discolouration and lift. After letting her nails recover (she waited approx 1 year), she decided to let me assist her to apply reputable gel nail products. She explained that other than some irration lasting 2/3 days her fingers and nails felt great. She now applies her own gel knowing this itchy sensation ends after a couple of days. However we have been on a mission to try an eliminate this "itchy period" of time by removing the use of bonders and primers. All that we use now is isopropyl alcohol and a dehydrator. My mother insists that when she is just fixing up gel on her nails and doesn't use the prep that her nails don't itch. I believe we are using a NSI prep/dehyd, should i be trying other brands just incase its a perfume or other chemical of some sort effecting her? What do you recommend? She really doesn't want to let go of her artificial nails.


Response from Marti at "Hooked on Nails":

Primer will burn the skin if it is allowed to touch the skin or the nail plate becomes flooded with it. Repeated exposure would cause the symptoms you describe. Prep is simply an alcohol based product, so by using alcohol, you have not removed a source of irritation.

When one usually experiences the symptoms you describe, the culprit is usually the product itself; which is the monomer (liquid) in traditional products. Gel is also acrylic though it comes packaged differently. ALL artificial nail products are made from the same family of acrylates and include traditional acrylic products, gel products, wrap resins and nail adhesives. If she is allergic to one, she will be allergic to all of them. She may not experience an immediate reaction to the gel, but eventually, the symptoms will return. Once we are allergic, we are allergic for life!!


This is only one reputable viewpoint but it does make alot of sense. Unfortunately I had to break the news to my mum, who wasn't too happy about it :-(. Better to be safe than sorry!

Georgy
User avatar
jumpyg
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3213
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:59 pm
Location: Adelaide, South Australia


Return to Occupation Health & Safety in Australia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron