Tips for doing refills on your own nails?

This is where professional nail technicians can discuss nail matters. Need some advice? Got any handy tips? This is where it goes!

Tips for doing refills on your own nails?

Postby [Nems] » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:32 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a qualified nail tech, but I've only been doing nails for my friends and family, and going to a salon to get mine done. I've decided to start doing my own, and last night I did refills for my left hand (I'm right handed). It took me a little while, but I'm really pleased with the results. However, I'm really struggling with using the drill with my left hand.

Does anyone do their own refills? Have any tips to make the process easier?

[Nems]

Re: Tips for doing refills on your own nails?

Postby KCRileyGyer » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:05 pm

I too am right handed and do my own refills but I don't use the e-file on myself at all because I don't feel safe doing so (but that's just me).

When I do my own I do my right hand first so it gets it out of the way. Takes me 3 to 4 hours to do so but then I am slow. As with everything else it just takes practice. Take it slowly at first so you know and can see what you are doing. This stage might take 2 to 4 sessions depending on how fast a learner you are. For me, I'll always be slower doing my right hand than my left but this may not be the case for you. If you are lucky enough you will gain a left handed coordination and that will help you in becoming faster. This will depend if you get that coordination happening. I still don't -chuckles-

For those who are left handed, just reverse it... do your left first, be slow about it so you can see and get used to what you are doing with your right hand.

I hope this is of some help for you.
KC

"When was the last time you did something for the first time?" - unknown
KCRileyGyer

Return to Professional Nail Chat