Grow nails long or use forms?

This is where professional nail technicians can discuss nail matters. Need some advice? Got any handy tips? This is where it goes!

Grow nails long or use forms?

Postby kathiny » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:05 pm

Last week, I broke a nail by accidently driving my finger into a wall. The force "flexed" my acrylic nail(overlay on salon-length natural nail) and not only did the acrylic break across the middle of the nailbed, but it also broke my natural nail across the same place.

I read some article that said that it's safer to keep your natural nails short and use a form for length just in case you have a stupid accident like mine. I don't know if this article was really written by a pro or by a home user.

What do you think? Should I trim my natural nails short and use a form if I want a longer length? I don't want them long all the time, just for special occassions. :oops:
nail art design tutorials: http://www.melodysusie.com/blog/
kathiny
Nail Enthusiast
Nail Enthusiast

Re: Grow nails long or use forms?

Postby Envy » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:36 am

there is no need to trim the nail shorter... simply soak off the broken product and reapply - but bear in mind, this nail will be weaker until it grows out.

The advise to shorten the nail is used when the nail plate has actually seperated from the nail bed (onycholysis) and does not apply if the nail plate is simply cracked across..

hth's
Envy

Creative Nail Design (NZ) Educational Ambassador
Envy
Obsessive Nail Freak
Obsessive Nail Freak

Return to Professional Nail Chat