Best colours for nail shapes??

This is a section for nail students and potential students. Post all of your questions and inquiries here.

Best colours for nail shapes??

Postby PrincessK » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:10 pm

Does anyone know where i can find information on what nail colour/polish suits what shaped nail and what doesnt??

Example: Short, round nail......Best colour and why.......what colours not to use and why

I can not find any of this in my textbook provided or on google??? :(
PrincessK
Nail Enthusiast
Nail Enthusiast

Re: Best colours for nail shapes??

Postby monkey_monkey » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:36 pm

hmmm good question i dont really know, but i would think lighter polish on small nails and they dont stand out being really short. but appart from that i didnt think there was a specific way.
monkey_monkey
Nail Freak
Nail Freak

Postby littlegrohl » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:13 am

I would have thought the colour had more to do with Skin Tone, then shape.. I have done Black on very short nails and they looked awesome, yet when i tried a hot pink the colour looked wrong against her skin.. I learnt to look at the colour of the veins in their wrists to determine if they were "cool" or "warm" toned..
Chelsea,
Eclectic nail designs.
littlegrohl
Obsessive Nail Freak
Obsessive Nail Freak

Postby tiamaria » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:44 am

Hi Chlsea, tell us how u tell by the colour of the veins please. sounds interesting :}
tiamaria
Nail Freak
Nail Freak

Postby littlegrohl » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:58 pm

The vein test is an easy way to determine your skin tone. In natural light (during the day, stand by an open window), make a fist and examine your inner wrist. What color are the veins? Veins that are mainly blue are a sign of cool tones, while green veins are a hint that you are warm toned. If your veins are a mix of blue and green, it could be a sign that you are neutral toned. Lucky you!

Warm toned individuals tend to look alive and healthy while wearing earthy colors, such as oranges, bronzes, golds, peaches, brick reds, earthy greens, mocha browns and ivory. They look best in yellow based colors.
Cool toned people look best in jewel tones such as vibrant emerald green, royal or icy blues, rosy pinks, silvers, plums, and pure white. Blue based colors look best.

This helps when choosing the perfect cover powder for clients too.. a quick look at the wrist will have you reaching for cool/warm or nuetral.

This is also how I was taught to do when doing a stripe test for makeup base colours on the face..

Another way is Gold and silver..

If you can, find a piece of silver fabric and piece of gold fabric. Stand in front of a mirror in natural light. Hold each piece of fabric next to your face, one at a time and examine. If the silver makes your face light up, you are most likely cool toned. If the gold makes you look fresh and alive, you are probably warm toned.

I cant wear Gold =( clothing or Jewellery.. thank god for White Gold ;P
Chelsea,
Eclectic nail designs.
littlegrohl
Obsessive Nail Freak
Obsessive Nail Freak

Postby tiamaria » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:50 pm

Thankx So much Chelsea, That will come in very handy.
Regards Juanine
tiamaria
Nail Freak
Nail Freak

Postby PrincessK » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:25 pm

The infomation has to be somewhere for my course to ask the question..........im finding this theory work very frustrating lol
It asks for the best and worst colours and why for all of the following:
1/ Short, round nails (smarties)
2/ Long thin nails
3/ Nails with ridges
4/ Long nail beds, no nail length
5/ Long nails (more than half the length of the nail bed

?????????? please help.........lol
PrincessK
Nail Enthusiast
Nail Enthusiast

Postby littlegrohl » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:45 pm

PrincessK wrote:The infomation has to be somewhere for my course to ask the question..........im finding this theory work very frustrating lol
It asks for the best and worst colours and why for all of the following:
1/ Short, round nails (smarties)
2/ Long thin nails
3/ Nails with ridges
4/ Long nail beds, no nail length
5/ Long nails (more than half the length of the nail bed

?????????? please help.........lol

I can honestly never remember this being asked.... Which course are you doing? have even spoken to my educator about this.. as far as my experience with colours go's this is what I have found...
Short round nails, Bright polish looks best.. Nails that are neon and long just seem out of place.
Long thin nails, long nail beds no nail length and longer nails... Red, few things are more classic than the red manicure. Deep, true red is flattering on almost any skin tone. Though it can look fine with shorter nails, it is truly elegant when painted on well kept longer nails... a longer overall length adds drama to this color. (but then when you have lovely long nails.. nail beds or thin long nails any colour can work.. ((again depending on skin tone))
Nails with ridges I would stay Neutral as darker colours show up flaws...

aside from that... i have no idea HTH xx
Chelsea,
Eclectic nail designs.
littlegrohl
Obsessive Nail Freak
Obsessive Nail Freak

Postby Krystald » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:40 pm

Hi PrincessK,
I would imagine the best colour would be the one the customer wants and the worst would be any colour they don’t want lol. I’m studying my Cert II in Nail Technology and have also found some of the questions weird, maybe not weird just things I've never considered before, but I guess thats what learning's all about...
My instructor told me that it’s always good to recommend a light or sheer colour to people with diabetes as they often have circulation issues and any discolouration of the nail bed, fingers, toes etc needs to be able to be seen at an instant.
Hope this help a little?
"... Shopping is cheaper than a psychiatrist."
Tammy Faye Bakker
Krystald

Postby PrincessK » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:39 pm

This question still has me stumped :roll: I have googled and asked around and nobody can tell me grrrr this is one of the 3 questions left before i can hand in all my work and get my certificate!!!! Im so excited and just want to be finished now lol
PrincessK
Nail Enthusiast
Nail Enthusiast

Postby shazvana » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:07 pm

Sweetie, I would be going back to your educator and telling them you have searched high and low for your answers and you can't find them.
Simply ask them to point you in the right direction at least, of course they will know you don't want them to just give you the answers but a step in the right direction would be helpful.

I have never thought about selecting colours based around nail shape, it's more about what the clients wants/needs for special occasion and like what has already been mentioned, what their skin tone is.
I'll be honest and say there is only one situation where I would consider the shape and this is with really short round nails, I would not want to put a dark colour on them as dark makes them look stumpier I reckon.

Good luck, I hope you find your answers soon.
shazvana
Obsessive Nail Freak
Obsessive Nail Freak

Postby whoami » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:35 pm

that's really a good question. In my opinion, the way you pick colors for your nail art designs is similiar with the way you match clothes. :D Hope that can be of any help~~~
whoami

Postby Crispy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:11 am

This question intrigued me so I put it to my lecturer in class.
She replied that colour has its theories in usage but to apply that to nail shape was ridiculous (her words).
She mentioned the vein test and skin tone (which is what I use in makeup) but people are likely to wear pretty much anything these days so it all depends on the customer's taste.

Diabetic circulation issues are detected via touch and smell, not the nail bed which can often provide a 'false reading'.
Crispy
Nail Enthusiast
Nail Enthusiast

Return to Student Nail Chat